Saturday, September 26, 2009

The beginnings of a new me

I have tried to lose weight many times before. I was never successful. I would try fad diet, diet pills, starvation. All the wrong things including no exercise. Well in August of 2009 I went to the doctor because my feet were swelling . I wanted to rule out a heart condition. Now every time I went to the doctor I always turned my back to the scale and I would tell the nurse to not tell me my weight but to just record it in my chart. But this time I received a print out of my visit and it had my weight. It was a whopping 287 pounds !!!! I knew I was fat but I had no idea just how fat I was. During that visit I also had blood work done. That was when I found out I was pre diabetic and had high cholesterol.

So now I really have to change my eating habits and my lifestyle. It has been hard and I have only been doing it for one month. I love my food. I love to bake and desserts are my favorite thing. I do miss all my fatty fried cheesy foods. I know that I should allow myself a treat every now and then in moderation but right now I can't. I realize that I am an over eater and most likely a food addict. I realize that I use food as a crutch. I snack and munch when I am bored. If I am upset I want something sweet to make me feel good. If I am upset food soothes my soul.

So now I need to find a healthy way to deal with my emotions. I know that this will be a long hard road. 144 pounds is a huge amount of weight to lose and so far I have lost 17 pounds. I had wanted to lose 20 by my birthday in November and I am almost there and it is not yet October.

I struggle to drink my 64 ounces of water a day. I panic if I go over 1200 calories a day and I should be eating 1600. It is funny because before I would have consumed 1600 calories in one meal before my diagnosis. I also started to work out. Every morning I do a one mile walk or I ride my stationary bike. I also am using resistance bands . The weekends are particularly hard cause I find myself really trying to control what I eat . At work it is easier because I can only eat the foods that I have brought from home, but at home I can pretty much eat whatever I want.

I have so many goals that I want to accomplish . I feel like I have already taken steps on a thousand mile journey and that 17 pounds is a start .

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and good on you! I still need to become motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you . I don't know that I would ever have even begun this journey if it weren't for my health.

    ReplyDelete